Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Interracial couples in Taiwanese commercials - It's a start

Not your every day thing in Taiwan, but growing in significance

Today I saw a TV commercial featuring a White guy as a loving husband, who cooks for his Taiwanese wife and their child. It's a rather simple and short commercial, but pretty amazing, because it might well be the first of such kind to regularly run on Taiwan's national TV (correct me, if I'm wrong). The ad is not new, it's at least a year old, but I haven't noticed it too often (yeah, I'm pretty busy). The company, that launched the ad is called 好帝一 Haw-Di-i. I'm not sure how tasty their sauce is, but I'd like to commend them for creating this ad. Big thumbs up from me. In my previous post about big hot dogs, I've said that the foreigners in the video don't represent me. Sadly, the foreigner in the commercial doesn't represent me, too. When my wife saw the video, she immediately said: You don't cook! :-P Sadly, I don't have time to cook for my wifey, but the commercial really makes me want to :-) And I might buy that sauce, since I'm also targeted as a consumer.

The husband says: This is the original taste of Taiwan.

A little later the company made another commercial with the same family.

Earlier this year Quaker made a commercial featuring a prominent Taiwanese couple, of which the woman is an actress and a singer, who married a Canadian. Her name is 黃嘉千 (Phoebe Wang) and the husband is Christopher Downs (夏克立). Check the commercial:

Brief summary: Husband and mother-in-law are discussing what is the best food for the baby. The daughter/wife then says: This milk powder from Quaker is the best. And the other two finally agree.

More and more foreigners are appearing in Taiwanese TV commercials, but usually as English teachers or travelers, which still places them outside the Taiwanese society. What more commonly represents the reality of the mainstream, are interracial babies (can I say Eurasian babies?), but those might be booked, because they "look cute" to the average Taiwanese (I heard this a lot), not because companies want to have any connection with the reality of interracial relationships in Taiwan. The fathers of these babies rarely appear in these videos (the ones above are the proof of that). If any, it will be the advertising industry, who will be the first to realize that foreigners, who married Taiwanese women and live here, represent a very potential customer base, and start to invest more into this direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment